Saturday, March 7, 2015

Brussels

May be it’s a city’s fate that Brussels is a capital of EU. Few centuries ago Brussels was the capital of the greatest empire in the world and I think that administrative traditions are not disappeared from the city since then.

And it’s generally accepted that the main square of the city – is a most beautiful square in Europe. As for me it’s enough to make a decision about visit the city so when I was in western Germany I have not missed opportunity to visit Brussels with the one day excursion.

One thing has overshadowed my experience in the city. It’s a lot of garbage across the streets. I was told later that public utilities went on strike that day. So I was not lucky and I hope they revise the situation.

Brussels is a small city. I didn’t use public transport. It’s about a 15 minutes’ walk from the train station to the city’s center. It was early morning when I arrived in Brussels and I didn’t meet a lot of tourists on the city’s streets. It was good because I was able to do the photos of what I liked without hurrying up.

This donkey meet me in the some district of the Brussels

Of course I started my excursion from the famous Grand Place which once was the focal center of the city. Grand Place has been destroyed at the end of the 18 century after huge bombarding from the French troops. Later king Louis 14 restored the Grand Place in the splendid style.

Next stop of my excursion was St. Michael’s Cathedral well-known by its twin bell towers. This place impressed me so much that I even come back here after few hours wandering across Brussels’ streets.

By the way Brussels is known for its fish restaurants. After all it’s only a few hundred kilometers away of seashore and in Brussels you can always test fresh sea products.

Next main attractions in Brussels are Royal Palace with garden, so-called European Quarter with lot of administrative buildings and the Triumph Arch which hosts nice military museums. You should definitely visit this museum especially if you a fan of Napoleon.

Photo old streets in the Brussels

And don’t miss in the Brussels chocolate shops. They scattered around the city and as I know I Brussels there are even special tours on these shops. Also as for me chocolate from the Brussels is the best souvenir from the city as well as the local beer.

I didn’t find famous Manneken Pis fountain in Brussels. Don’t worry in the city there are a lot of signs which point to this monument. May be it was to small (as well as the rest sculptures in the city) and I didn’t notice it. But I found in the city a lot of others small sculptures and fountains which adorn the city’s streets.

Photo House at Grand Plac